Audio-Technica’s smart quality and consistency standards set the “Audio Technica AT2020 microphone” different from all other mics in its class. The low-mass diaphragm features is custom-engineered for extended frequency response and superior transient response. It has rugged construction for durable performance, the microphone gives a wide dynamic range and handles high Sound Pressure Levels (SPL) very easily.
The success of this model has led to the production of two more models by the Audio Technica that are AT2035 and Audio Technica AT2050.
In This Article
Audio Technica At2020 Microphone Review
Design and Performance:
Before we go in-depth, it is wise to know that this is not a USB microphone. It needs an XLR cable, which is not included with the unit. There actually is not much included when it comes to the AT2020, still, you are going to need it for this unit offers the best in the market. It comes with a small pouch that is made of leather, similar to a pencil case, a
microphone stand adapter, and that’s it. There are no cables, a stand, or anything extra aside from the bare essentials. That is a problem if you are looking to dive right into streaming and podcasting, but also part of the reason why this microphone is so affordable.
The Audio Technica AT2020 offers plenty of bass extension, with a full 20Hz-20kHz bandwidth with only a slight dip centered around 70Hz and a gentle presence hump between 5kHz and 15kHz. The sound quality of the AT2020 is perfect. It does a fantastic job capturing voices and honestly would work really well in a professional setup. In comparison with a USB mic, the sound seems to be warmer and more precise. It’s exactly what a studio mic should be delivering. The AT2020 will also give you great sound recordings, with the flexibility of adjustment that comes with using an analog mixer.
The price and quality are great, but casual hobbyists should be well aware of the fact that there are more steps required to getting audio into your computer than a simple plug to play mic. This one is mostly for people who want a crystal clear audio for voiceover and podcasting and aren't afraid of a little tinkering.
● The price is low and the performance is unparalleled.
● The mic measures 6.38 inches in length and 2.05 inches in diameter. It has a weight of 12.1 oz.
● It is perfect for project and home-studio applications.
● Even better for voiceover artists, vLoggers, YouTubers and Podcasters
● Its high SPL handling and wide dynamic range provide an unmatched versatility.
● Its custom engineered diaphragm with a low mass gives you an extended frequency response and superior transient response
● Cardioid polar pattern reduces the pickup of sound from both the sides and the rear thus improving isolation of the desired sound source
● This mic is perfectly suitable for both male and female singers and for acoustic instruments. The mic is a favorite for recording acoustic guitar
● Build quality is awesome
● Perfect For both office use and
● 16mm low-mass diaphragm
● 20Hz-20kHz frequency response
● 144dB SPL handling
● Rugged body
● Pivoting, threaded stand mount
● Suitable for both home use and studio use
● The wide dynamic range provides an extended frequency response.
● It is a GREAT mic for this price range.
● It needs more parts for it to run well but with a $99 mic you will have enough money left to mix things up.
● It also lacks a mic stand. Take it out of the box but you just have to hold it, it’s really not for someone who wants to take it out of the box and start a channel immediately. You can pick up a mic stand for a low price.
● It also requires extra equipment to operate, which is where some problems may arise.
Take Better Care of Your Microphone:
Take better care of your microphone and you will watch it last for a lifetime, better care prolongs the lifetime of a device thus increasing its chances to lead a much productive life. While using a microphone, you may be tempted to blow hard into them. We recommend you refrain from that, as tempting as it seems, this deeply harms your microphone in the long run and also makes it moist. You do not even need to yell into a microphone. All you have to do is speak in it very normally.
Condenser mics are also very delicate; this means that they cannot bear any single way in which they may be mistreated, some are even prone to breaking by small mishaps which is why we advise you to be careful.
You must also try to keep your mics away from dust and places where they are prone to humidity. Dust is very much the number one enemy of a microphone because dust can settle on the diaphragm and reduce the sensitivity of the mic and even alter its frequency response. Never put the mic in the clip on the stand until the mic cable is fastened to the stand and connected to the mixer to prevent tragedy.
The Audio-Technica AT2020 is the brand’s entry-level condenser; it is also a popular choice for home studios worldwide. With a very affordable price, it provides quality sound for its price. We like it for a range of applications that include vocals, voice work and acoustic instruments. If you want a simple, no-frills design with a warm and
reasonably flat reproduction, you will like the AT2020. Shortly for the price, Audio- Technica has made a very respectable product.
Well, guys, this is all we had to say about the Audio Technica AT2020, we hope that you liked our review article, let us know if we can be of any help to you guys as we would love to help you guys out. Until next time.