The Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Router AC 1900 (WRT1900AC) gives you an excellent throughput experience with its excellent current-gen wireless clients, and it also promises killer speeds for the devices in future. The flashable firmware, wonderful QOS, easy setup, and powerful NAS functionality, for a not so hefty price is the specialty of this outclass Wi-Fi router.
This router without any question is the fastest working consumer networking hardware available in the market so far.
The unit this router contains is big and accommodatable, with a price that is worth it. However, you get a lot for your buck, including very good performance. The WRT1900AC offers other unique features too. You have the option to flash the firmware with OpenWRT (thus giving the networking geeks a potential for complete network control), an excellent performance as a NAS (with a USB drive attached to its USB 3.0 port); a wonderful QoS and great range in the 2.4GHz and 5Ghz band, and easy, well-honed remote access and management are some of the outstanding features worth mentioning. It offers N600 + AC1300 Mbps speeds, that are a lot faster than any other conventional router.
Linksys WRT 1900 ACS Smart Wi-Fi Router review
WRT1900ACS has a very identical external design to its predecessor Wi-Fi router, with it giving a practical chunky look with the beautiful plastic of its front third. It’s a sizeable router which measures 295 x 205 x 123mm and weighing 886g, combining it with such a striking color, it might not be according to everyone’s taste but the speeds and performance is what makes it the top choice of everyone to whom speed and performance matters the most.
The four short dipole antennae attach to the sides and the rear of this router with a very strong and sturdy design. These antennas are not only solid, but also, they are made with a three-stream spatial architecture that lets the router use the top three out of its four signals for the transmission and receiving of data. It’s not just transmitting in every direction but has the capability to stream in the direction where the signal is needed the most.
The router is very impressive looking, and a well engineered router.
The LEDs on this router are unlike any other LEDs seen in many routers. Instead of the mainstream small circle that is designed on most devices with LEDs, they are horizontal and thus look very cool.
Their shape and size also make them easy to see across the room. The LEDs on the front represent the activity statuses for:
- The Power
- Internet connection
- The 2.4GHz band
- 5GHz band
- eSATA Port activity
- The USB ports in use
- Each of the LAN ports
- WPS in use.
The WRT1900AC is shipped to the consumer with a detailed and easy start guide, as well as proper documentation on a disc. You can follow the Linksys recommendations for the setup.
First, you should disconnect the existing router and connect the WRT1900AC to a broadband service via the Internet port it has.
Once the power LED stops blinking, you can connect to the preconfigured network on the router.
Then open a browser to launch the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Router setup instructions.
The set up will take you through all the procedures necessary; then you may further want to create a password for privacy reasons.
- The WRT1900AC Wi-Fi router is basically the updated and new version of WRT54G. It measures5 by 10 by 7.5 inches (HWD) and weighs 2.25 pounds.
- On the inside of this dual-band Wi-Fi is 802.11 AC router stuffed with a dual-core 1.6 GHz processor and 512MB RAM.
- It has a Gigabit WAN port, as well as four Gigabit LAN ports. In addition, on the back panel is a USB 3.0 port and a combination USB 2.0/eSATA port.
- The WPS, reset, and on/off buttons on the back of the device.
- Although it is a bit heavy, the WRT1900ACS is still mountable to the wall and ceiling via grooves located in its rubber feet.
- Airflow vents are also located all over the housing. Its internal components are built for performance; this means it can have a potential to overheat just a bit.
- Linksys put a fan inside this router and that’s the best thing that this router can offer out of all, it prevents the router from heating up while delivering the highest performance.
- Features an excellent performance and range.
- It displayed an excellent throughout speed when tested with a second router as a bridge.
- Has a very easy setup, remote access, and management.
- Firmware is flashable via OpenWRT.
- Its QoS feature cuts down the time to buffer a video.
- Extremely best for streaming movies and games locally.
- Quite Expensive.
- May run warm at times.
- Produces a noticeable electrical odor when running.
- Bulky and Heavy
Take Good Care Of Your Router:
Keep the router out of the sun because heat is not good for any type of electronics since they already get so warm, it is best if you keep these away from direct sunlight or even in hotter areas or temperatures.
A quick vacuum won’t hurt, but it surely will clean your router and prolong its life. Protect your router from power surges like thunders spikes etc. Reposition your router, if needed, routers offer stronger wireless signal if they are physically at a higher level and set out vertically. Changing a router’s direction can also intensify the signals.
Keep away from devices with magnetic strengths. Never store it in a closet as it will weaken the strength of your router. Keep it a lot closer to the place where there is maximum use of the router.
That’s all about one of our favorite and most recommended routers, the WRT 1900 ACS. We hope that you have enjoyed and gained the information you intended from our review article. Let us know if we can be of any help to you guys and we would be more than glad to help.